Welcome to the Friends of St John's.
The friends of are a group of people who raise funds for the preservation, maintenance and enhancement of Meopham Parish Church and its churchyard.
All are welcome to join the Friends and we have both members of the Church congregation as well as non-parishioners amongst our number.
We raise funds through membership subscription and fundraising events such as quiz nights, boot fairs, antique valuation day, Christmas Fayre and other social activities.
We differ from members of the church congregation who contribute mainly to the running costs of the church (e.g. gas and electricity) as we raise money specifically for items of a capital nature.
Here are some examples of capital items we have helped to procure over the last few years:
- Purchase of acrylic screens for the church windows to stop drafts.
- Refurbishment of the church rooms toilets.
- Replacement of the church tower louvers.
- Replacement of the existing church boiler as the old boiler was unrepairable.
- Two oak side boards for the church entrance area. These are used for the storage of literature, postcards and other items for sale as well as a new visitors' book. These side boards replaced a much smaller shabby table.
- The new computer system for the church office including new computers, network linkage, new data facilities and church accounting software. This has enabled staff to work more flexibly as well as increasing security and time saving.
- The new church lectern, with funds generously donated to use for this specific purpose. This is made of olive ash and designed to fit in with the style and design of the modern movable altar.
- The wooden candle stand for the altar which is also made of olive ash and again matches in with the altar and lectern. This has replaced an unsatisfactory arrangement of terracotta candle holders on a plastic board.
- A new security system in the church including two security cameras which replaced the old obsolete ones. The Church is often open but unmanned so security is essential.
To see the Friends March newsletter, please click here
Membership of the Friends is by subscription - £15.00 per person or £25.00 per couple. If you would like to join the Friends or find out more of what we do please contact Mrs Ally Merry on 01474 813106 or email firstname.lastname@example.org